Monday, February 21, 2005

So hungry I could eat a horse(radish)

Firstly, let me just say I hope I'm not coming across as:

a) A weight-obssessed psycho girl
b) A Subway-hater
3) Not very good at numbering lists

but this is another Subway-directed rant.

The other day I found myself in the Subway near my work (ohhh that smell, that baking bread smell, you bastards let me just walk by in peace...). I was a little confused, as I had been trying to get to the post office and the "artist" behind the counter was refusing to sell me any stamps, but eventually I worked it out and bought myself a sub.

Sitting there, munching away, I started to thumb through the nutrition information Subway so proudly puts on display in their stores. No "let's hide it behind this big red and yellow clown figure so no one can be distracted by it while they upsize their meal" going on here. Ohhhhh no, not in Smugway. They have HEALTHY food.

Anyway, I was enjoying my sub and all was well with the world until I stumbled across the sauces section of the document (which, mind you, is so complex you practically need an engineering degree to get through it). (And that's just to work out how to unfold it). I almost choked on my jalapenos.

A serve of Subway's "Dijon Horseradish Sauce" contains a whopping 10g of fat.


This was my exact reaction to that news.


Since WHEN has horseradish contained ANY fat whatsoever? And Dijon mustard - last time I checked, that was fat-free too. So how does the combination of them produce a sauce with TEN GRAMS OF FAT to every tablespoon and a half? What kind of parallel maths freak-iverse does this sauce come from?

Actually, it gets worse: that link was to a US nutrition guide - the one in store here in Australia just called it "Horseradish" (not Dijon) and listed it as having 13 GRAMS OF FAT!

Weight Watchers recommend you use horseradish or mustard on practically everything - I can just imagine people at weigh ins everywhere going "I don't understand, all I've eaten this week is a jar of Subway horseradish..."

I have written an email to Subway demanding an explanation (not that I care personally, I fucking hate horseradish, but it's the principal of the thing):

Dear Subway,

I have been a fan of your sandwich restaurants for several years now, and am a keen supporter of any fast food chains that endeavour to serve healthy food.

However, I was thumbing through one of your nutritional guides the other day, and was horrified to learn that 23mL of your horseradish sauce contains 13 grams of fat - almost double the amount of the next fattiest dressing, Southwest sauce. This is surprising, considering that normal horseradish contains next to no fat at all (about 0.1%).

On the Subway nutrition guide available on the US website it lists horseradish as "Dijon Horseradish" and shows 10 grams of fat, however on the guide I picked up in the store here in Australia it is simply called "Horseradish" and lists 13 grams of fat.

Is Subway mixing its Horseradish with other condiments without making the consumer aware? I would be interested to know.

regards,
Petstarr


I will post any replies from the Subway gods here.



4 comments :

  1. I can only imagine the response:

    "Thank you for your query regarding Subway's menu. We value all feedback from our most important customers.

    Please find attached a flyer for our new (insert product here) which contains less that 6 grams of fat*

    Regarding your query on horseradish, we have found that the method of measuring fat content can be difficult indeed, and that the figure quoted should be used as a comparative guide only. Any semblance to real life fat content is purely coincidental.

    Thank you for your interest in our products.

    Eat fresh

    Smugway

    *without condiments, breads, tomatoes, meat, and must be eaten with chopsticks."

    Sorry for the long reply...

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a subway near my home in StulenHausen! I wrote the theme song for it:

    I LOVE MY SUBWAY

    When the fruit is ripe
    and the meat is tender
    I love my Subway.

    Even when the sun is dim
    Even when the television weeps
    I love my Subway.

    You have some food on your face
    Which I kiss off with my fingers
    I love my Subway.

    The bread is warm,
    The people are soft,
    We never go home,
    We must never leave,
    We are here forever,

    I love my Subway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. no need to watch what you eat, gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here you go darling hope you can enjoy this as much as i enjoy yours!!!

    http://www.thefind.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete