Sunday, September 11, 2005

Maccers release inner child - viewers release lunch

adver_tisingtv_mediaContinuing with my series of rants about dodgy advertising (on sexy advertising, Jilas, Subway...) I would now like to turn your attention to the new Maccers campaign.

I'm talking about the one where people's stomachs open up and little children pop out.

Sounds appetising, doesn't it?


A Maccers advert or the new Aphex Twin video?

WHOSE DEMENTED IDEA WAS THIS?? Ok, we get the SUBTLE MESSAGE - come to Maccers, eat a cheeseburger and release your inner child. Great, fine, got it. WE DON'T NEED IT GRAPHICALLY ILLUSTRATED ON OUR TV SCREENS 100 MILLION TIMES DURING AUSTRALIAN IDOL!


ARGH! THE FEAR!

This advert disturbs me beyond measure.

Not only do we have to watch creepy kids crawling out of trapdoors in unsuspecting people's stomachs, it's all accompanied by a bizarre sing-songy music background that is now, for me, only slightly less creepy than the theme song from Deliverance.

"Ohhh meee...ohhh myyyyy....spy my lit-tle eyyye...my oh me ohhhh myyy...."

ARGHH!!! You can imagine an axe murderer in some teen slasher movie singing it as he stalks his pretty blonde prey down to the basement...


"Hurry up and get out of there, I'm cranking for a Happy Meal and I have to be back inside my host body in 20 minutes."

Speaking of host bodies - could this perhaps be some sort of subversive Scientology propaganda? Are these "inner children" actually operating Thetans with a case of the munchies? Is Ronald McDonald really L Ronald Hubbard?

As disturbing as this ad is, at least it's got high production values - which is more than anyone can say for the other Maccers ads currently doing the rounds with that annoying blonde girl from that failed soapie no one remembers doing over-excited vox pops with sandwiches.

"WOULD YOU LIKE TO TRY ONE OF THESE ROLLS? WHADDYA THINK? WHERE D'YA THINK IT'S FROM?!!???" she shrieks at anyone who will listen.

Various idiotic munchers reply with things like "Geee...Subwayyy? A deli...is it from a deliiii?" before she reveals the HUGE surprise that actually, that weird red and yellow clown standing over there in the phone box made it.

Just once, I would like someone to say "A clown made these rolls? Really? A clown? What deli is he from?" to make the point that Ronald isn't as well known as he bloody thinks he is. You hardly hear of Ronald anymore anyway - which is probably why he's now seemingly forced to peddle sandwiches in local malls.

Speaking of which, I wish Maccers and Jackers and all those other fat-filled havens would stop pretending they offer healthy food ("Wow, this salad has less than 10 grams of fat!" SO IT FUCKING SHOULD, IT'S A GOD DAMN SALAD! DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH 10 GRAMS IS??) and just go back to doing what they do best - selling us the artery clogging goodness we all know and love.

And if they could manage to put out an advert that doesn't either annoy or revolt us, that'd be good too.



9 comments :

  1. I hear you, sister!
    That ad makes me want to run from the room screaming 'The Pod Children are coming!!'.
    Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just sent an sms to one of my fellow McDonalds employees this morning saying "How fucking weird is the new McDonalds ad?"

    That song is creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry... try again. Didn't get my point across well enough before.

    That ad is so disturbing, I reckon it'd be less traumatic if the kids burst out the chest cavities of the people - Aliens style. Geez.

    I imagine the twisted ad exec suits brainstorming around their giant oak table, and one menancingly slurs "I know... why don't we make them remove their outer skin to show a child underneath, and they walk off with a pile of loose flesh lying on the sidewalk like a heap of clothes."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, the first time I saw the ad I was gobsmacked by how ghoulish it is! I cant believe it got past their test audiences!
    Great blog as usual

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahahahaha funny you should mention Aphex Twin, because the first time I saw the ad, that's exactly what I thought of. And I loved it. We need more f`ucked up ad's on the telly, the more graphic the better. Everyone bitches about the "graphic" anti-speeding advertisements... nah, make 'em worse. Show stock footage of people getting pryed out of their mangled Commodore with the jaws of life. THAT's the way to make people sit up and take notice!

    As for the description of the "deli choices" ad.... bah hahaha you crack-a me up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's brilliant, completely inapproriate for a McDonalds advert, but an awesome realisation of their message, release your inner child.

    It immediatly reminded me of Spike Jonze's Being John Malkovich.

    Sadly, McD's are the only company big enought to pull off an ad campaign like this down here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i actually really like the advert

    i haven't eaten mcd's in 10+ years

    but i did notice the ad's and plan to try something on their new menu

    ReplyDelete
  9. That add is creepy as!!! Though the song is catchy... Yet eventually becomes annoying as hell!!! Speaking of Ronald... In the Macca's in Japan his name is Donald McDonald... Hahaha...

    ReplyDelete