Tuesday, December 06, 2011

A peek inside Lady Gaga's Workshop

Apologies if I seem a little Gaga obsessed lately, it's just that a) I find it difficult to ignore someone who's seemingly captured the zeitgeist and b) she's been troubling me a bit lately, testing my admiration of her and such.

I felt immensely let down this week by her new Marry the Night video, which was ultimately a pastiche of artistically shot vignettes pretending to have a deeper storyline. It was confusing, derivative, and most disappointingly, boring. Rather like the song.

And then I visited "Gaga's Workshop" at Barney's department store, where the star has taken over a section of the fifth floor to... well, I didn't know what. Until I went in, and realised her "workshop" is more like a "sweatshop" - at least, it looks like half the items in there have been made in one. From keyrings, to snowdomes, chocolates and Christmas tree ornaments, there is nothing Gaga has not put her name (and a hefty price tag) on.

I know that 25 per cent of proceeds are going to the singer's Born This Way Foundation, an organisation that supposedly supports "youth empowerment and equality by addressing issues like self-confidence, well-being, anti-bullying, mentoring and career development". Whatever that means - 75 per cent of the proceeds are still going somewhere else. I'd assume that's to Gaga's wallet.

I'm writing my Sunday Mail column on it this week, so you can wait until then to read all about it. In the meantime, here's a video I shot of Gaga's Workshop.



I'd be interested to hear from other Lady Gaga fans - what do you think of the star? Has your opinion of her changed over the years?



1 comment :