Thursday, May 17, 2012

When PR and blogs go wrong

A few weeks ago I received an email from chocolate company Ferrero Rocher asking if I'd like to review their new "Limited Edition Mothers' Day Hamper", presumably a giant basket filled with choccies specifically designed for mums to pop into their gobs while watching Pride and Prejudice, or something else with Colin Firth in it.

"We would like to send you the new Limited Edition Ferrero Mother's Day Hamper, free of charge - all we would need from you is a short review on your fantastic blog" they wrote, as I imagined stuffing myself full of chocolate and then writing something insightful like "CHOCLIT IS YUM BUY FERRO".

GET IN MY GOB.


Then I remembered that I am actually in New York, and the chances of them sending me a basket of chocolate were quite small indeed. Then I remembered that my ACTUAL mum is in Adelaide, and also a writer, so why not get the hamper sent to her? That way she'd get a free mothers' day present, AND have to do the work. Brilliant, I thought.

They thought so too, and agreed to send my dear mummy the goods for her to review. Sadly however, the hamper never turned up. Poised with remote control in hand and Mr Darcy in his wet shirt on pause, she patiently waited until four days after Mothers' Day with no hamper in sight. Then she wrote this:


A MOTHER'S LAMENT

I seek it here
I seek it there
My promised gift 
Of Ferrero Rocher.
A basket full
for Mother's Day
A PR stunt
For mums to say
How choccies show
You love and care
So WHERE'S MY GIFT
Of FERRERO ROCHER?!

Wherever that hamper ended up, I hope a deserving mum enjoyed it. Or a fat, lazy blogger who wrote something like "YAY FOR CHOCLOT YUMM!" - either/or.



0 comments :

Post a Comment